Friday, November 1, 2013

Just Chill Chili...

What you might not know about me is I don't like beans. Nope, nada.. don't care for them. I will eat green beans we grow in our garden each year.. RAW. Cooked beans? Refried beans? No thank you.. not this girl.  So when it gets chilly in the PNW, and my heart starts turning towards making a crock pot of chili, you can bet your spice I make chili with no BEANS







Ahh, yes. Here it is. My chili is pretty darn simple. Cook up some ground beef- a pound or so- a little Italian sausage- another pound or so- and then throw it in the crock pot with some diced white onion. For liquid, I tend to change my mind from time to time but my tried and true favorite is a large can of crushed tomatoes, a can or two of tomato sauce and perhaps some water- but only if I'm feeling saucy.

Spices? Eh. Depends on my mood. This time, I used a little black pepper, some smoked paprika (no real amounts.. I'm a dash and pinch kind of girl) and, of course, a little chili powder. After a few hits and misses, I tend to add less spice at first and taste it along the way, just to see if it needs more. Once its in, you can't go back and since I have OVER spiced chili before to the point it was inedible, I tend to be more cautious.

Serving? Well, you can see by the picture my family's go to favorite is chili over rice.  A little cheddar (OK, a ton of cheddar) and some chopped green onion is all it takes.

Simmering, loving and heating up the house with good scents. Crock it on high for a couple of hours or if you have the time, over low for many hours. You can't go wrong! Bring it, fall!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment