Sunday, October 20, 2013

Smashin' Taters with Spam

Yes, it is true. I love Spam. I'm a Spam eatin' gal and I've transformed my whole family into believers too.

Spam Spam Spam Spam
Monty Python reference aside, sliced thin and pan fried until lightly brown, cooked Spam is wonderful.  So, when I decided to re-create a popular smashed potato recipe, it only made sense to use cooked spam instead of cooked bacon. (Plus, I didn't have any bacon and zero motivation to leave the house to get some).


The concept was simple. I boiled four russet potatoes for about 20 minutes, then my plan was to slice them and smash them on a cookie sheet into potato-like pancakes.  Um, yeah.  That WAS the plan. It did not happen.  They were still too firm and refused to smash.

Not to be daunted, I decided my best bet for salvaging something for my family to eat was to slice the whole potato in half, then lay them cut side down on a cutting board. I then cut them into rounds, making sure a piece of potato skin was attached to each slice. Flip them over, then smash them slightly with the back of a fork.

From here, lay them on a cookie sheet.  Drizzle them with olive oil, shake on a little salt and pepper. For just over the top goodness, I then added some shredded cheese and of course.. a piece of cooked Spam or two on top of each mound.  450 degrees for 20 minutes.. and then....

Happiness on a plate

Salty, delicious.. and darn good with a scoop of sour cream.

Now go enjoy your Spam...

No comments:

Post a Comment